Sunday, May 1, 2011

A house is not a home until it has a DOG

I am writing this blog today for a very selfish reason. On Good Friday we took our Jack Russell, Miss Priss, for her final visit to the Vet. Prissy had been a member of our family for over sixten years. She had been a very health sixteen, until about the middle of March. Something happened to make her health start to rapidly decline. Johnny, my husband, and I had to make the most difficult decision that a "Pet Parent" can have to do. We had to take away her pain and let it become ours.

Our house is so quite now. I especially miss her when I am here in the office workng. She would lay on the sofa as long as I remained in the room. As she got older, she had to have a small ottoman to help her get up on the sofa and in the last few weeks she would lay on the floor next to my chair. I realize it is not her pictures that upset me, but the day to day routine in our house that she was such a part of that I miss the most. I found the above quote by Gerald Durrall and understand to well the meaning. "A house is not a home until it has a Dog."

 
"My little dog: a heartbeat at my feet."
--Edith Wharton
"Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of our country as Wall Street and the railroads."
--Harry S Truman
"When you leave a dog in the morning, it will stick its nose in the door crack and stand there like a portrait until you turn the key eight hours later."
--Erma Bombeck



"The ideal age for a boy to own a dog is between forty-five and fifty."
--Robert Benchley



Sir, this is a unique dog. He does not live by tooth or fang. He respects the right of cats to be cats although he doesn't admire them. He turns his steps rather than disturb an earnest caterpillar. His greatest fear is that someone will point out a rabbit and suggest that he chase it. This is a dog of peace and tranquility."
--John Steinbeck


"Being patted is what it is all about."
--Roger Caras.



"The dog was created specially for children. He is the god of frolic."
--Henry Ward Beecher


"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
--Gilda Radner


"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made."
--M. Facklam


"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as a dog does."
--Christopher Morley



"A dog is the greatest gift a parent can give a child. OK, a good education, then a dog."
--John Grogan


To err his human, to forgive canine."


My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
--Eileen Green

"Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really."
--Agnes Sligh Turnbull
(Prissy and Jake after a day at the beach)

Rest in Peace Miss Priss!

1 comment:

  1. I am so very sorry for your loss. A beautiful tribute to your departed friend indeed.

    ReplyDelete