Monday, August 1, 2011

Basking in Barcelona

I'm back from my recent European jaunt to Barcelona and down the Italian coast. What a fantastic trip it was. My three traveling friends and I managed to pack each day full of sites and experiences. Over the next few post, I will share some of these special places with you. I have been posting pictures on my Facebook Fan Page, so I thought I would share them also here for those that are not on FB. 
We started our trip in Barcelona, Spain on Wednesday, July 13th. There was lots of twisting and turning as I tried desperately to take in all the sights around me!


This was my very first shot. I was already impressed with the Spanish architecture.


The tile and mosaic work in the buildings are incredible. Heading into the Parc de las Ciutadella. (Park)

The Spanish Arc de Triomf. The grand entrance to the park. Close up of the angels tooting their horns and offering wreaths.


I  could have spent hours exploring in this park. So many beautiful sculptures and fountains. But since this was our first outing. It was time to move on.


Time to stop for the first of many glasses of Sangria and tapas! They have these funny two ft. long straws to use for sipping! The Dolphin Cafe was a great people watching place. Barcelona is very busy this time of the year. I was surprised at the overall size and mass crowds.


The next day we started off with a stroll down La Rambla. La Rambla is very crowded (that helps to make it a high crime area) but worth the risk to see all the beautiful buildings and the sites.


Gorgeous flower stalls are up and down La Rambla.


The entrance to the Mecat (Market)


These look like a painting. The presentation at each stall was amazing.


Meats of all types are on display and also some that were not suitable for this photo opp. Not for the squimish!


Garlic, peppers and wonderful seasonings make the food oh so delicious!


The mimes are all up and down the street posing for pictures to earn euros.


Our next place to visit on our walkig tour was The Port of Barcelona


Here is the marina at the Port. My husband had told me to be sure and get lots of boats and marinas for him to see. No pictures could do this area justice.


and of course they can not have an ordinary walking bridge


This is our feathered friend Jorge.  He stayed with us while we sat on the pier and watch the boats come and go. He had no fear and I was surprised he hung out with us, since we did not have any snacks to share!


Before heading back to our hotel to get ready for dinner, which was usually late around 10:00 PM, we had to stop and enjoy a "Happy Hour" glass of Sangria. We were four tired gals, from so much walking. But it was oh so worth it!

I will be back soon with some more highlights to share!  Adeu (for now)

*I love for you to post comments and share your thoughts with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment